The Colonial School District has provided an update on the construction of the new Colonial Middle School in Plymouth Meeting. Construction began last month and thus far workers have:
- Installed security fencing
- Removed trees from the property
- Begun excavating and grading the construction site for stormwater management and in preparation for installing footers and pouring the building foundation
- Started work on an access road to the property from New Hope Street adjacent to the Central Montco Technical High School (this road will serve as access for school buses and emergency vehicles when the building is completed)
- Finished installation of a sanitary pipeline for the new building (this project was completed on time and nearly $16,000 under budget)
The new school by the numbers:
- The new 232,000 square foot middle school will be about 42,000 square feet larger than the existing building
- The new school is designed to accommodate 1,500 students.
- The cafeteria will accommodate 500 students at a time
- The gymnasium will hold 1,400 for assemblies and promotion ceremonies with floor seating.
- There will be new athletic fields, parking lots, and an access road for school buses on land currently owned by CMTHS and the township, and demolition of the current middle school.
The new middle school is tentatively scheduled for occupancy in January 2022 with the demolition of the current building, and construction of new parking lots, athletic fields and storm water detention basins to follow through the fall of 2022.
Photos: Colonial Middle School