Jon Feldman, Uber’s Philadelphia general manager, posted to its website the below information on how Uber plans to help ease the issues created by the disruption of SEPTA’s regional rail schedule:
With the unexpected SEPTA service disruption this week, we’re launching a new initiative: Philly Moves Together. This is Uber’s plan to help keep the city moving while reducing congestion on our streets, ensuring that people across the Philadelphia metro area have access to safe, reliable, and affordable rides during the Regional Rail disruption.
While it’s currently unclear how long Regional Rail service will be impacted, we wanted to take quick, immediate steps to help the city tackle the most immediate mobility challenges.
DURING THE INITIAL PHASE OF THE PHILLY MOVES TOGETHER PLAN, WE WILL:
- Dedicate $2.5 million to alleviate city congestion and meet demand. We’re pledging to invest $1 million over the next four weeks, and at least $2.5M through Labor Day as long as this situation continues, to incentivize drivers during high-demand times and in discounts for riders in the areas affected by the transit shortage. This is our commitment to keep prices low and help combat congestion for daily commuters and as Philadelphia hosts 50,000 visitors for the Democratic National Convention.
- Expand uberPOOL options to cover the most impacted stations and surrounding areas. uberPOOL is the most efficient way for us to ensure commuting with Uber is an affordable and reliable experience while also reducing congestion. That’s why we’re expanding the area where uberPOOL is available — it will now cover all SEPTA Zone 2 Regional Rail stations and those Zone 3 stations where train overcrowding is at its worst, along with existing coverage in all of Zone 1 and CCP.
- Subsidize uberPOOL to help make reliable transportation more affordable. Philly commuters will now have more access to uberPOOL rides that cost as little as $3.70 and up to 75% cheaper than uberX. While the exact discount varies depending on time of day and route, uberPOOL will always be cheaper than uberX. This means that people across Philadelphia will have more access to safe, reliable, and affordable shared transportation alternatives.
- Free rides for new Uber riders. Any new Uber rider who signs up with the promo code PHILLYMOVES will receive their first ride free, up to $15.
- Free rides for existing Uber riders. Any existing Uber rider who shares their personal code with a friend and that friend signs up with Uber will receive 1 free ride for them, up to $10, and 1 free ride for their friend, up to $20.
- uberPOOL from PHL airport to Center City for as little as $9. We offer discounted uberPOOL rides along the Airport Line so that riders can get from gate to door affordably and reliably for not much more than the cost of the train.
PHILLY UBERPOOL COVERAGE AREA:
Here’s a full list of stations where uberPOOL will now be available into Center City:
- Manayunk/Norristown Line: Starting at Miquon
- Chestnut Hill West/East Lines: All stations
- Doylestown Line: Starting at Ambler
- Warminster Line: Starting at Willow Grove
- Fox Chase Line: All stations
- West Trenton Line: Starting at Somerton
- Trenton Line: Starting at Eddington
- Paoli/Thorndale Line: Starting at Bryn Mawr
- Media/Elwyn Line: Starting at Morton
- Wilmington/Newark Line: Starting at Ridley Park
- Airport Line: All stations