Here are what we fill are the Top 10 stories in Conshy this year? We actually have 11 stories. In no particular order, they are:
11. The StoneRose had an early morning fire that resulted in it closing for several months. It was the most read and inquired about story on MoreThanTheCurve.com for the year and all time.
10. The area of Conshohocken along the river flooded this past August/September after heavy rains.
9. Two long standing diners were revamped by new ownership. Boccella’s became the Conshohocken Cafe and the new owners of the 401 Diner kept the name, but overhauled the menu.
8. Two new housing projects began/were approved this year. The first, Parkview at West 7th, consists of 48 townhomes overlooking Sutcliffe Park. The second, the Courts at Spring Mill Station, will add 350+ apartment units at the local that is currently Reilly Foam at the corner of Hector and North Lane.
7. The sale of GSI Commerce, in King of Prussia, to Ebay resulted in Michael Rubin moving his new venture, Kyentic, to Conshohocken. Kynetic consists of three consumer Internet businesses: Fanatics, the world’s leading online retailer of licensed sports merchandise; Rue La La, a leading online private sale destination in the U.S.; and ShopRunner, an innovative members-only service that aggregates shopping benefits from the top retailers and brands.
6. Two boutiques opened in Conshohocken bringing much needed retail; OBVI at 5th and Fayette and Free Reign Boutique at 417 West Ridge.
5. Two community projects were launched in 2011, a dog park and a community garden. The dog park still needs to be finalized, however the community garden did open for a fall planting.
4. A two-decade long legal feud involving the Borough, developer Ray Weinman and the Montco Redevelopment Authority was finally settled. I will go into more details in a stand alone story, but I think the big news is that the Borough obtained ownership of the top floors and the grass area along Fayette Street at the Washington Fire Company property.
3. The Borough finalized a Redevelopment Plan.
2. There were three contested Borough Council races and the Democrats won all three, however, it did not change the current balance of power between Democrats and Republicans.
1. There was absolutely no news in 2011 on the effort to put a Super Wawa at the Moore Chevrolet location. I was shocked when I went back to look at realized the public forum at the Fellowship House was actually in October of 2010.