March 1st marks the 110th anniversary of SS. Cosmas and Damian Parish, which opened its original church in Conshohocken in 1912. According to The Catholic Historical Research Center of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, the parish’s first church held 80 people and by 1927 a new larger church had been built.
The parish continued to grow and the church building you see today at the corner of West 5th Avenue and Maple Street opened in 1952 (its 70th anniversary).
The parish merged with the other local parishes at Saint Matthew Parish in 2014. Today, the church building is home to St. Mary & St. Mercurius Coptic Orthodox Church.
Photos of the various church buildings can be seen below in a tweet from the research center.
The other ethnic parish opened in 1912 for the Italians of Conshohocken. SS. Cosmas and Damian's first church held 80 people so a new lower church was built in 1927. The Depression and WWII delayed work on upper church until 1952. The parish merged with St. Matthew's in 2014. pic.twitter.com/TYgpmtgS4H— Catholic Historical Research Center of the AOP (@CHRCofAOP) March 1, 2022