The Colonial School District is planning renovations and additions to Plymouth Whitemarsh High School in 2015. The district’s website was recently updated to include three preliminary images showing an updated entrance to the school (photo above), a map of the school showing the renovation areas and additions (below) and the designs for classroom wings, pool and a new cafeteria (bottom photo).
The district’s website states:
After more than 60 years of service to the community Plymouth Whitemarsh High School will be undergoing a major renovation with construction starting in 2015. The majority of the high school was built in 1952 and last saw extensive upgrades in the late 1980s. The three-story east wing of the building, including the swimming pool and east cafeteria, has not been reconditioned since its construction in 1961.
The renovations will include:
- Comfortable modern instruction areas that promote “learning communities.”
- Improved energy efficient lighting and more opportunities to take advantage of natural light.
- New locker rooms.
- Consolidated cafeteria with outdoor seating.
- Modernized pool area.
- Better climate control, including air conditioning.
- New facade that improves security and handicapped accessibility.
- Updated plumbing and electrical systems.
If you want to learn more, on Thursday, September 18th at 7:00 p.m. the school board will meet and there will be a presentation on the plans. The meeting will be held at the district’s administrative center at 230 Flourtown Road in Plymouth Meeting. There will also be a town hall on Wednesday, October 22nd at 7:00 p.m. at the District Office General Meeting Room in Colonial Elementary School.