PennDOT announced today that the bridge carrying Trinity Lane (Route 320) over Gulph Mills Creek in Upper Merion Township has reopened following the rehabilitation of the 232-year-old structure.
PennDOT’s contractor utilized original salvaged stone to perform various masonry repairs, installed a new guide rail, and resurfaced the roadway and approaches. The original plaque on the structure was also preserved.
The Trinity Lane Bridge was built in 1789 and reconstructed in 1980. The bridge is the fifth oldest bridge in use in the United States and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The structure is 22-feet-long, 34-feet-wide and carries just over 7,000 vehicles per day.